When it comes to interactions, consumers hold power in their hands. They choose what content they want to see, when they want to see it, and what channels they want to engage with. That’s why successful companies do more than simply build their brands. They motivate their customers to choose them—to choose to engage. How do you get your audience to say yes to your messaging when they could so easily say no?
1. Be authentic. Consumers want their brands to be authentic, and they can sniff out inauthenticity a mile away. 86% of consumers say that authenticity is crucial when deciding what brands they like and support (Stackla). Be honest and transparent in your marketing. Use natural language. Be a brand your customers can relate to.
2. Be respectful. Your audience is bombarded with marketing messages 24 hours a day, so don’t be a pest. Respect their time and the boundaries they choose to set. This is one of the reasons people still love direct mail—it doesn’t intrude in their space, and they decide when and where to engage with it. It’s no wonder Gallup found that 41% of Americans look forward to receiving their mail every day. Make sure your marketing mix includes both digital and traditional mail.
2. Make things easy. Consumers’ lives are busy. They will respond to brands that know who they are and what they are most likely to buy. Ensure that the communications you send are relevant and that, when your customers make purchases, the process is as seamless as possible.
4. Get it right the first time. Research from The Advertising Research Foundation shows that shoppers tune out after receiving a few dozen messages from the same company. So even though people love direct mail, don’t bombard them with it. Be selective about what you send and when.
5. Go beyond demographics. In targeting your messaging, go beyond demographics. Look more deeply at what motivates, interests, and is of the most value to your audience. There are multiple ways to get at this information, so create a plan for getting what you need.
Consumers are savvier than ever, so you have to be savvier, too. Let us help you create a plan for getting filtered in!